When you live anywhere along a coast — like San Francisco — or in a damp, humid environment, be ready to stand diligence against mold and mildew, that are caused by a fungi that results in a pet development. Mildew thrives on organic materials like wood, where it grows to a white to blue-green discolored growth. Areas in which you may have untreated wood include a garage with open studs, inside crawlspaces with leaky roofs, exterior wood shingles or wood decking materials.
Don the HEPA-filter face mask to protect yourself from airborne spores. Brush the mildew in the mucous wood with a dry brush. Remove as much as possible with this method.
Put on vinyl gloves. Mix 8 to 10 tablespoons of trisodium phosphate into 1 gallon of warm water.
Scrub the affected area with the marginally alkali mixture put on the wood. Make certain you eliminate mildew from all the affected areas of the untreated wood.
Wash the wood with clean water and then allow the wood thoroughly dry. Mildew calls for a damp, moist and dark environment to grow. Expose the untreated wood to light and dry air.
Mix 1 cup of household bleach with 1 gallon of water. Apply the mixture to the untreated wood to kill severe instances of mildew. Allow the solution dry naturally for between six to eight hours. Thoroughly ventilate the area as the bleach dries.